Many things have changed within Australia over 25 years. It has become China's major trading partner. Importing from China is regarded as a good business venture for some capitalists as it assures maximum profitability. Information on how to import from China to Australia is now a sought after item. Although it is becoming easier to import from China, you have to fully understand and consider a number of things such as the local rules and the overall Chinese business philosophy in order to actually achieve long-term business success.
Choosing Your Import Supplier
The first step in your import process is to make sure you choose your supplier carefully. Think of ways to meet with suppliers. Trade shows are always good venues to meet people in the importation business. This will let you meet several people, the only downside is, trade shows are often held for just a couple of days at a certain time of the year. You'll be able see their products up front. Make sure that the reseller is an authorized reseller. You can do this by contacting the brand owner.
You also have to be clear with your supplier regarding the payment terms. Usually, the suppliers demand 30% down payment while the remaining 70% will be paid after the goods are shipped. The suppliers generally accept letters of credit as well. Lastly, don't forget to discuss shipment!
Estimating the Landing Cost
Don't hit the order button unless you've calculated the landed cost. Landed cost is basically the original purchase price of the product plus tax, shipping and delivery fees. Moreover, be aware that there might be hidden costs along the way.
Make a test order to help anticipate total charges.
Be Aware of Australian Import Regulations
Australia has strict regulations when importing plants, animals and food to preserve its natural beauty and resources. Strict import policies are also imposed on vehicles. Firearms, weapons, and narcotics are also included as restricted items in this country.
Remember that Australia has a dual tariff system, meaning it has delineating and preferential duty rates. The rates depend on the products' point of origin. Preferential rates are lower by 5% to delineating general rates. This is enjoyed by the Pacific Islands, Canada, New Zealand and other developing countries.
Take note of all the important documents needed for you to gain customs clearance, these are: packing list, bill of lading, waybills, postal documentation, etc. Make sure that register your items properly if they are for home consumption, warehousing or removal to a different location. After complying with the customs clearance, you can then claim the goods and distribute it to the market.